Give students a copy of the words of this song.
Underline all places mentioned. Notice they have capital letters and are all Proper Nouns.
- Give the class a map of the world.
- Mark all the places mentioned.
- Now find small words within big words and circle e.g. “ant” in “Antarctica”, “jam” in “Jamaica.”
- Do some research on Barcelona and find the interesting way the King once pronounced “Barcelona.”
- Can the students find the joke in “sheep in Bahrain?”
- Find the rest of “the rain in Spain” etc. Practice speaking the line with perfect diction.
- Each student could make a list of questions which they would love answered. Pick the most puzzling one to ask the class. See if there are any answers.
- When singing the song, you could split up the lines and give them to pairs or individuals and have the chorus sung by everyone.