- Research the history of trains and collect pictures
- Find out about great train journeys of the world. You may need to consult a travel agent
- Plan a rail journey in Australia. Have students choose one town on their trip they find interesting. Research that town and give a talk to the others about it. (NRMA guides and maps would be useful)
- If your school is close to an interesting historic train such as the Zig Zag railway near Lithgow, NSW or the Scenic Railway in the Blue Mountains, plan an excursion.
- Discuss the saying, "wrong side of the tracks"
- Collect shoe boxes and paint them up to be train carriages